Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tedium Nostrum

Here's the gist: I'm tired of not being done with these blasted law school applications.

Why didn't I do this all in November? I'm tired of reminding myself that there were more pressing things then.

I am tired of repetitive questions about my life. "Has any institution of higher learning ever placed you on warning or probation for academic or disciplinary reasons? If so explain."

These folks don't know me. I am a decent chappie, not the kind to get in fights or use illegal substances or abuse my academic privileges.

Sure, I got a warning once. My study group once arguably risked giving the wrong impression about a brand new college. We didn't do anything wrong; we were a co-ed study group, and we studied till dawn without a chaperone. All we did was frantically study history. That isn't character impeaching in the least, unless you're a pack of home-schooled Christian Right types in the Virginia countryside. No disciplinary action was taken, but yes, there was a warning.

Yes I completely burned out due to inappropriately rigorous coursework during my undergrad years. No, by the numbers it was not pretty. So, yes, I think my scholarship was on some kind of probationary status at that time. But I have a GPA higher than 3.7 at every other college and university I've attended, and roundly elite test scores.

Yes one time I took a Spanish 4 class at community college without being bothered to first take Spanish 1, Spanish 2, or Spanish 3. Yes that meant that my only grade at that school, for a few weeks, was a D. But after a C in Spanish 5 and a B in Spanish 6, and then two years of straight A's, there's no reason to even talk about that passing moment of "academic probation."

So can't we just stop with the questions? Living in the past is so very tedious. I just want to start classes.

1 comment:

The Brain said...

For what it's worth, the study group one, at least in the light you used explaining it here, may actually win you points with the applications committee.